This project is a new agricultural marine shipping facility, which will be located along the Missouri River (rm 680.75) in Monona County, Iowa near the town of Blencoe. The proposed Ag shipping facility will involve a barge unloading area for dry fertilizer, roadway salt, and roadway aggregates (gravel & stone). These materials will be unloaded from product barges by the use of a material handler with a clamshell bucket sitting on a platform barge. Materials will be placed into a hopper sitting on the platform barge and then conveyed to the land side storage areas. The dry fertilizer products shall be conveyed to a building enclosure. Roadway aggregate and roadway salt shall be conveyed to radial tele-stacker conveyor to be stock piled. The empty product barges will then be cleaned and positioned downstream breasting against another platform barge, which will be used for loading the product barges with soybean or corn. The loading area will use a combination of belt conveyors and a radial tele-stacker conveyor to convey material to be load to the product barges and then transported down the Missouri River. The proposed Ag shipping facility will have roadways for semi-truck access to each of the above described unloading and loading areas of the site.
Westbrook Associated Engineers provided the following engineering services for this project:
- Agency Coordination & Permitting – coordination with US Army Corps of Engineers, Iowa DNR & Monona County regarding work within the Missouri river which included a Hydrologic & Hydraulic Analysis (H&H) to be included with “Joint Application” submitted to the USACOE and IDNR. Westbrook also prepared Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) including design of all associated stormwater devices to meet state and federal stormwater quality and quantity requirements for this new site development project.
- Design Phase Administrative Services – coordination with geotechnical, bathymetric survey, landside survey, building contractors, mechanical equipment suppliers, preliminary coordination with various construction related activities involving site grading, concrete foundations, structural steel, etc.
- Structural Analysis & Design – barge mooring pipe piles, modifications to both platform barges, access ramp to platform barges, modifications to used belt conveyor truss’s for increase span lengths, access walkways to barge mooring pipe piles.
- Structural Foundation Design – access ramp to platform barge, belt conveyors, fertilizer building, access walkways to barge mooring pipe piles
- Site Development – grading plan and details for loading / unloading truck traffic and design for site drainage and all stormwater devices
- Construction Phase Administrative Service – RFI’s, shop drawing review, material cert’s, on-site inspections and construction documentation control.
For more information from two local news stations with coverage of the ground breaking ceremony held in Blenco on September 9th: Gov. Reynolds, Blencoe community break ground on NEW Coop Ag port along Missouri River | KMEG & Port of Blencoe breaks ground, potential money-saver for farmers | 4KTIV